Litigation and Investigations
The PCGC team represents public company clients before state and federal trial courts, governmental agencies and national and international arbitration panels throughout the Carolinas, the United States and the world.
Investigations and Agency Enforcement
We regularly defend companies in connection with a variety of criminal allegations and investigations. We also assist clients with
- compliance initiatives or internal investigations related to SEC reporting
- U.S. banking laws and regulations
- health care fraud (Stark and anti-kickback)
- export control laws
- anti-corruption laws
- the False Claims Act
In the commercial litigation context, the PCGC team represents public companies in contract disputes, financial services and securities litigation, trade secret litigation and product liability defense, including leading large e-discovery projects.
Eric H. Cottrell
Eric Cottrell represents public companies in shareholder litigation, securities-related litigation, commercial contract disputes, financial services and securities litigation, trade secret litigation and product liability defense.
Eric has been chosen as one of Woodward/White’s Best Lawyers in America in Arbitration since 2012 and in Commercial Litigation since 2013.
Brian S. Cromwell
Brian Cromwell counsels clients on white collar criminal defense, internal investigations and SEC enforcement issues. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Cromwell was both a state and federal prosecutor, first as an Assistant District Attorney for Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, then later as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Department of Justice, Western District of North Carolina.
Brian has been chosen as one of Woodward/White’s Best Lawyers in America in Criminal Defense: White-Collar law since 2010.
- Represented officers and directors during SEC investigation of possible securities and accounting violations
- Represented senior banking officials during a federal grand jury investigation
- Served as defense counsel in major health care fraud investigations
- Represented a health care products company suspected of improper billing, marketing and sales practices in a federal criminal investigation
- Represented a major laboratory facing parallel state and federal investigations
- Advised clients in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations and import-export practices
- Represented a FORTUNE 500 client in a private federal grand jury investigation
- Served as counsel in federal court to a court-appointed receiver managing an SEC-related matter
- Served as antitrust counsel to a FORTUNE 500 company
- Represented a major manufacturer victimized by a key competitor’s criminal conduct
- Represented a hospital and doctors targeted by federal and state agencies for alleged criminal, civil and regulatory violations
- Served as counsel of a major health care provider facing federal allegations of fraud
- Represented a global manufacturer in a consummated merger trial before the Federal Trade Commission and on appeal to the full Commission
- Represented a Fortune 150 corporation in multi-million dollar arbitration proceeding
- Represented a financial institution in the Enron securities litigation
- Represented a top manufacturer of construction equipment in a multimillion dollar dispute with first-tier supplier
- Served as Discovery Counsel for a Fortune 100 company coordinating responses to multiple regulatory investigations and shareholder lawsuits
- Advise companies in assessing export and anti-corruption risk and developing cost-effective compliance plans